Hyderabad: Ten days after the bid on MIM MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, police are yet to send ballistic samples to forensic experts to clear the air over who fired at the legislator.
Reason: So far, investigating officers have not received any bullets from the body of the dead assailant, Ibrahim Bin Younus Yafai, or injured persons, including Akbaruddin.
Police have so far arrested nine people in the case.
Another accused, Mohammed Saleh Bin Wahlan, has been reportedly in police custody for the last one week. On Tuesday, two more accused Afif Bin Younus Yafai and Saif Bin Maqbool Yafai were also reportedly nabbed from their houses in Barkas.
According to police, six people, including Akbaruddin, sustained bullet injuries in the attack. Owaisi had two bullet injuries in the stomach, while his driver Osman on the left palm, Barkas corporater Mansoor’s brother, Mohammed Awalki on the left hand fingers and an MIM activist, Fayaz Khan on his stomach.
However, police could manage to seize only a .32 revolver, a licensed weapon of Abdullah Bin Younus Yafai. Police found two shells and an equal number of live rounds in the chamber of the revolver, indicating that Abdullah fired only two rounds.
Even if the two rounds fired by Abdullah hit Akbaruddin, investigating authorities are yet to find a weapon from which bullets that injured Osman, Awalki and Fayaz were fired.
The only other weapon used in the incident, which is now available with the police, is a 9mm pistol used by Malakpet MLA Ahmed Balala’s personal security officer (PSO) Mohammed Jani. The PSO had taken 10 rounds from the police armoury. Of them, he had loaded six rounds in the magazine and fired just three at the assailants. After the incident, the PSO handed over his weapon and the unused seven rounds to the investigating agencies.
Though the investigating officers have two weapons used in the incident, the bullets fired by them are yet to be traced.
“Unless, we have the bullets recovered from bodies of the injured or the dead, what can we give APFSL for comparison or examination?” an official, who is part of the investigation, said.
A Care Hospital spokesperson said by the time Akbaruddin was shifted to their hospital there were no bullets in his body. According to sources, the bullets were removed by a team of doctors at the Owaisi Hospital, but ironically even after a week, police have not laid their hands on them.
Strangely, according to police, no bullets were recovered from the bodies of three assailants __Abdullah, Awad and Ibrahim.
“Abdullah suffered a bullet injury in the shoulder, Awad in the stomach and Ibrahim in the chest. Bullets pierced through their bodies and we could not collect them from the spot,” an officer said.
Police on Monday seized the video footage of the attack from 4TV office. A frame-by-frame inspection of the footage clearly shows that Akbaruddin had a pistol in his hand, while Ibrahim was stabbing him. On the other hand, the investigating officers claim: “Akbaruddin has three licensed weapons and only he can confirm whether he had a weapon with him on the day of the attack and whether he had fired any bullets from that. Unless he is medically fit to give a statement, we cannot proceed further in this regard.”
Police are also looking at the possibility Mohammad Saleh Bin Wahlan, an accused, using a weapon to fire at Akbarudin. Wahlan does not have a licensed weapon and his family members are alleging that police have kept him in illegal custody for the last one week to make him confess to the crime which he had not committed. TOI