The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will file its first charge sheet against former Telecom Minister A Raja and some of his close aides in connection with 2G spectrum scam on Saturday.
The investigating agency is also expected to name a couple of real estate companies for allegedly defrauding the exchequer in its charge sheet.
According to reports, the second set of charges may be levelled in the supplementary chargesheet, which is likely to be filed later this month.
The Supreme Court had on March 29 allowed a two-day extension to the CBI to file on April 2 its charge sheet against Raja and some of his close aides in connection with 2G spectrum scam.
The investigating agency had then said it was readying an 80,000-page document for submission.
The CBI and Enforcement Directorate (ED) had earlier informed the apex court that the case involved large-scale violation of Foreign Exchange Management Act and ‘benami’ transactions.
The CBI had earlier told the Supreme Court that it would file the first charge sheet in the 2G scam against Raja and others under Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) for cheating and forgery by March 31.
The probe into the 2G scam has shown links between Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa and Kalaignar TV. Balwa was the fourth high profile person arrested in connection with the scam.
The others arrested in connection with the case are A Raja, his personal secretary RK Chandolia and former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behuria.
Raja was forced to resign from the Union Cabinet last year after the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) faulted him for undervaluing spectrum to favour companies who were largely ineligible for 2G spectrum, and added that the government had probably lost Rs.1.76 lakh crore in estimated revenue. Agencies