Home » India » Anna hospitalised in Pune without police cover

Anna hospitalised in Pune without police cover

Posted by on January 9, 2012 0 Comment

Despite Intelligence Bureau inputs on a possible terror threat to anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, there remain serious issues with his security. It seems Mr Hazare’s close aides took the decision to shift him overnight to Sancheti Hospital in the city on December 31 without even caring to inform the police.

Mr Hazare’s PA Suresh Pathare admitted to MiD DAY that the police did not accompany Hazare as they were not informed about the changed plan to shift him overnight instead of early in the morning on January 1. Local police stations en route to the city from Ralegansiddhi were also kept in the dark about this sudden change in the plan.

Stark contrast
Anna_hospital_295.jpgIn stark contrast to this was the security scenario yesterday, when the 74-year-old Mr Hazare was discharged from the hospital. Officials of the Special Police Unit (SPU) along with personnel from the Shivajinagar police station and the police headquarters cordoned off the hospital and were even barring the media from entering the hospital premises.

Eight days ago, when Mr Hazare was shifted to Sancheti Hospital from Ralegansiddhi around 11.30 pm, officials of the SPU appointed to provide him Z security were absent. He was driven to the city in a white Mahindra Scorpio and was even asked to occupy the middle seat. Some of his followers believed that considering the condition of the ailing Mr Hazare, he should have been shifted to the hospital in an ambulance.

Upon his arrival in the city, there was hardly any police presence. It may be recalled that after the Intelligence Bureau input, in September last year, the Centre had provided Z security to Mr Hazare. It is understood that Mr Hazare has been cautioned not to go close to people while accepting garlands.

On the issue of the security flip-flop, Mr Pathare said, “Considering the worsening health of Anna Hazare, the decision to shift him was taken suddenly, so much so that we did not even get the time to inform local police or SPU.” Reacting to the heavy police bandobast yesterday, he said, “It was announced well in advance that Annaji would be discharged from the hospital on Sunday, so the police kept heavy bandobast inside the hospital.”NDTV

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply