The Central Bureau of Investigation on Thursday told a Delhi court that former Telecom Minister A. Raja had approved the grant of dual technology 2G spectrum licences to his favourite telecom firms like ADAG’s Reliance Communication and others a day before inviting applications for it.
Opening his arguments on framing of charges before Special Judge O.P. Saini, Special Public Prosecutor U.U. Lalit said Mr. Raja had given in-principle approval for grant of 2G licences to Reliance, HFCL and Shyam Tele link on September 18, 2007, a day before his ministry officially opened the scheme on September 19, 2007, for grant of these licences.
A day later as Tata Teleservices applied for the 2G spectrum licence on September 19, the Telecom Minstry deliberately sat over its plea, he added.
“On September 19, 2007, the press release for approval of dual technology was issued but a day earlier on September 18, 2007 itself, Mr. Raja had granted in-principle approval for dual technology (licence) for Reliance, HFCL and Shyam Tele link,” said Mr. Lalit.
“On September 19, 2007, Tata Teleservices applied for dual technology spectrum but their application was not treated in a similar fashion. It was kept pending and deliberately so with a design,” he added.
Mr. Lalit said had the Tata Teleservices’ application for dual technology licence been approved, the priority for “Raja’s favourites” would have been affected. Hindu