An eye witness to the abduction of Bahraini opposition leaders says that Saudi forces attacked the homes of the leaders, while others say they were taken to Saudi Arabia.
On Friday, Bahraini activist Ahmed Tork said in an interview with IRNA that Saudi forces had arrested the leaders from their homes in the middle of the night, and that all the leaders except for Sheikh Ali Salman, had been taken.
Tork further added that demonstrations against Saudi intervention had been held after the Friday prayers in most regions, especially the capital Manama.
The activist went on to say that the streets were extremely unsafe and that innocent passersby have been targeted by the armed forces, while hospitals are not properly prepared to help the injured.
Demonstrators in the Shia-majority country have been demanding the ouster of the 230-year-old Sunni-led monarchy as well as constitutional reforms, with hundreds camping out peacefully in the capital’s Pearl Square since February 14th.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and other human rights organizations have strongly condemned the military intervention and have called the action illegal.
More than 12 people have been killed and about 1,000 injured during the anti-government protests in the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom. Agencies