Tehran, Feb 16 (DPA) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has urged the world powers to continue nuclear talks with his government.
“There is no other way than continuing the talks, and we are always ready for that,” Ahmadinejad said in an interview with state television Tuesday.
The latest round of nuclear talks between Iran and the six world powers — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the US — was held last month in Istanbul, but the powers voiced disappointment over the outcome.
“It is not realistic to expect tangible results on a short-time basis as the issue is very complicated and requires more time and more negotiations,” Ahmadinejad said.
“As far as we are concerned, we want negotiations for the sake of cooperation and friendship and not increasing enmity.”
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, who is currently in Tehran, has reportedly declared Turkey’s readiness again to host the nuclear talks in Istanbul. Tehran has welcomed the Turkish proposal.
Tehran has constantly insisted that its nuclear plans are peaceful and rejected Western concerns over a secret military programme.
The main problem of the nuclear talks in the recent years has been the totally different standpoints of the two sides.
While the powers want Iran to suspend its controversial uranium enrichment process and prove the peaceful nature of its nuclear programmes, Iran has constantly rejected this demand and said the world powers must acknowledge Iran’s right to pursue civilian nuclear projects in line with the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.