Bahraini authorities said Thursday that a teenager who died of injuries near Manama was not shot but had suffered a “fatal neck fracture,” in a statement on state news agency BNA.
“A 15-year-old… has died after suffering serious… injuries,” said the interior ministry statement adding that a police director general “denied… allegations claiming the youngster had been shot.”
“No clashes were reported at the area from which his relatives brought him to the hospital,” the English-language statement quoted the police chief as saying.
Bahrain’s main resigned Shiite-led parliamentary opposition group Al-Wefaq said Wednesday that Ahmed Sayyed Said Shams was killed when a police patrol opened fire with live rounds in the village of Sar, west of the capital Manama.
“A post-mortem autopsy conducted by the medical examiner revealed that he suffered a fatal neck fracture, badly damaging his blood vessels,” said the interior ministry.
Shiite-led protests calling for political reforms in Sunni-ruled Bahrain have left 24 people dead, four of them police, since February 14, Interior Minister Sheikh Rashed bin Abdullah al-Khalif said on Tuesday. Agencies