Home » World » Bahrain releases 312 detainees since declaration of Nat’l Safety

Bahrain releases 312 detainees since declaration of Nat’l Safety

Posted by on April 28, 2011 0 Comment

President of Bahrain’s Information Affairs Authority (IAA) Sheikh Fawaz Bin Mohammad Al-Khalifa said Wednesday the total number of detainees who have been released since the declaration of the National Safety has topped 312 so far.

The detainees were either released for health consideration or after spending time in detention following their participation in the recent incidents, he added according to Bahrain News Agency (BNA).

The detainees were arrested in connection with the deplorable incidents that hit the Kingdom of Bahrain in February and March, the IAA President said, addressing local media.

He added that 62 crimes and 343 felonies were transferred to the National Safety Court.

Security-related charges varied between undermining the security of the state, to killing and sabotage, Sheikh Fawaz said at the press conference to reveal new audio-visual evidences of the conspiracy to overthrow the political regime in Bahrain and to highlight the latest local developments.

The IAA President lamented the negative reports circulated by NGOs and media about Bahrain and which were not objective in addressing issues.

“Now the situation is back to normal after the State of National Safety was declared and we can all enjoy security and stability once more. Before the declaration, there was a clearing of Manama and which, despite its dangerous challenges, was carried out smoothly and without any casualty. The security forces were outstanding in preserving order,” he said.

“We do however deplore the targeting of policemen and attempts to run them over. A cameraman working for the Information Affairs Authority could escape, but a policeman was hit and run over. A second policeman was also hit and run over near Nuwaidrat, in a clear indication of the terrorist character of those who had misled people by chanting peaceful slogans while killing public order forces and innocent men. We pray for the victims and for their families.”

Referring to the case of the seven men accused of hitting and running over policemen Kashef Ahmed Mandhoor and Mohammed Farooq Abdulsamad, the IAA President said that media people would be allowed to attend the verdict session on Thursday.

“The defendants confessed that they deliberately targeted the security men in order to cause casualties, kill lives, terrorize people and exact revenge. During the trials, the defendants had their full rights under the laws and international covenants. “They were allowed to contact their families and had their lawyers. The trial sessions were attended by representatives from Arab and European human rights organizations,” Sheikh Fawaz said.

He also noted that 23 doctors, as well as 23 nurses and care providers were being investigated and will be transferred to the court next week on charges of committing atrocious crimes. Agencies

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply