Dhaka, March 22 (IANS) With thousands of Bangladeshi workers still inside Libya, Dhaka has urged international troops to show restraint and resort to force “only when absolutely essential and solely for neutralising military targets”.
“We reiterate, in line with the UNSC Resolution 1973 (2011), the need for a dialogue within Libya to find a peaceful solution to the current crisis in keeping with the aspirations of the Libyan people,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.
For Bangladesh, the statement said, the concern continues to be with regard to the safety, particularly of Bangladesh nationals located in various parts of Libya, and of all civilians in general, according to the New Age.
Over 65,000 Bangladeshis, mostly construction workers, were in Libya when the conflict began. An estimated 30,000 have been evacuated, with thousands still in camps on the Libya-Tunisia border.
Bangladesh has sought help from foreign governments and international relief agencies to get its citizens out of Libya and bring them home.
Last week, when a ship was bringing some Bangladeshi nationals to the island of Crete near Greece, scores jumped out, apparently to avoid being brought home. Seven of them drowned, while many are still missing.