Cairo: Egypt’s state prosecutor has renewed the detention of ousted leader Hosni Mubarak for another 15 days amid a probe into a deadly crackdown on protesters and corruption, MENA news agency said on Friday.
Mubarak, who was forced to resign in February after mass protests, was first remanded into preventive custody for 15 days on April 13 on suspicion of involvement in a deadly crackdown on protesters and corruption.
“The state prosecutor Abdel Maguid Mahmud decided to renew the detention of ex-president Hosni Mubarak for 15 days for questioning… effective when his last detention period expires,” the agency reported.
Mubarak is under detention in a hospital in the Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh, where he has lived since his ouster.
The report said that prosecutors had headed to the resort on Friday to further interrogate Mubarak.
There have been conflicting reports on his state of health and the reason he was hospitalised, but the state news agency on Thursday reported that the 82-year-old former strongman’s health was “unstable”.
The state prosecutor’s office had earlier said that he ordered a medical team to head to the hospital to verify whether Mubarak was healthy enough to be transferred to a Cairo prison cell or hospital.
The team was also to evaluate medical services in the Tora prison hospital.
The ousted president’s two sons, Alaa and Gamal, and several of his ministers and senior aides being held in the south Cairo prison complex on various charges as part of a sweeping probe into corruption and abuse. Agencies