Cairo, Feb 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egypt’s opposition youth movement has called on people of Egypt to stage a million-strong demonstration on Cairo’s central Tahrir Square Friday to mark a week without Hosni Mubarak.
“The revolution has not been concluded yet. It will be concluded after all demands [of the Egyptian people] have been met and the creation of a stable democratic system has started,” the April 6 Youth Movement, one of the organisers of anti-government protests that swept Mubarak from power, said in a statement.
Mubarak stepped down as the country’s president last Friday following 18 days of anti-government protests that broke out in Cairo Jan 25 and spread throughout Egypt, leaving more than 350 people dead and about 5,500 injured.
The Higher Military Council, which took over power in the country after Mubarak’s resignation, has pledged to launch democratic reforms and hold fair elections in September.
The country’s opposition continues to push the country’s transitional authorities to meet their demands such as to imprison corrupt officials and lift the state of emergency that has been in place in the country since Mubarak took power in 1981.
The Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s most influential Islamist group, which had been banned under Mubarak’s rule, said they would join Friday’s demonstration.