Berlin, March 23 (DPA) Germany has pulled out of NATO operations in the Mediterranean, the defence ministry said Tuesday, following the military alliance’s involvement in the Libya conflict.
A ministry spokesman said two frigates and two other ships with a total of 550 crew members had been placed under German command.
It was not immediately clear if the ships would remain in the Mediterranean.
Some 60 to 70 German troops participating in NATO airborne surveillance operations in the Mediterranean would also be withdrawn, the defence ministry said.
NATO had earlier begun a naval operation to enforce the arms embargo authorized by the UN Security Council against Libya.