The Libyan government has rejected a conditional ceasefire offer made by the opposition forces, a government spokesman has said.
“The rebels never offered peace. They don’t offer peace, they are making impossible demands,” AFP quoted government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim as saying on Friday.
Transitional National Council leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil said earlier on Friday that the opposition was ready for a truce provided Muammar Gaddafi’s forces end their attacks on opposition-held cities.
Ibrahim called the truce offer a “trick,” vowing Libyan government troops would not withdraw from towns they control.
“We will not leave our cities. We are the government, not them,” he said, adding that the government, however, was always ready to negotiate and wanted peace.
Latest reports said running battles between revolutionary forces and forces loyal to the Libyan government continue on the outskirts of the key city of Brega.
The revolutionaries earlier lost the oil-rich port of Ras Lanuf and the nearby town of Ben Jawad.
Heavy battles are also ongoing in Misratah, located 200 km (130 miles) east of the capital Tripoli. Agencies