Home » World » Libyan MP to meet over Lockerbie bombing

Libyan MP to meet over Lockerbie bombing

Posted by on April 5, 2011 0 Comment

Libyan defector Musa Kusa will be questioned by Scottish prosecutors “within days” over the Lockerbie bombing.

The news came after a meeting that followed a formal request to speak to the former foreign minister as part of the ongoing investigation into the 1988 atrocity in which a US passenger jet was blown up over the Scottish town of Lockerbie.

A spokesman for Scotland’s prosecution service, the Crown Office, said: “It was a very positive meeting and steps are being taken with a view to arranging a meeting with Mr Musa Kusa at the earliest opportunity in the next few days.

Some say Mr Kusa, who was an intelligence agent at the time, could have had a hand in the attack.

Others believe he can shed light on claims by former Libyan justice minister Mustafa Abdel Jalil, that Libya’s leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi directly ordered the destruction of Pan Am Flight 103 – a plot which killed 270 people, mostly Americans.

The explosion killed 259 people on board the Boeing 747, with a further 11 people killed on the ground as the debris fell to Earth.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague previously indicated that police will be able to interview Mr Kusa about Lockerbie and other historic crimes.

Plans for the meeting came as Libya’s deputy foreign minister Abdelati Obeidi traveled to Athens on behalf of Gaddafi to say the Libyan government wants a solution to the current crisis.

Meanwhile today the Libyan Government said it was ready to discuss reforms to its political system, but insisted that Gaddafi must be allowed to stay in the country.

Mr Kusa was head of Gaddafi’s feared intelligence agency from 1994 and was a senior agent at the time of the Lockerbie bombing.

He is believed to have played a key role in securing the release of the only man convicted over the incident, Abdel Baset al Megrahi, who was sentenced to life in prison in 2001.

Megrahi was controversially released in 2009 on compassionate grounds as he was believed to have only three months to live due to terminal prostate cancer.

The 59-year-old still lives with his family in the Libyan capital Tripoli.

Hague has been forced to defend decisions to allow Kusa into the UK, denying that he had been offered an immunity deal.

Mr Kusa is also accused in court papers of arming the IRA and some believe he could have answers about the death of British police officer Yvonne Fletcher, who was shot outside the Libyan Embassy in London in 1984. Agencies


No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply