Home » World » Missing Bahraini confirmed dead

Missing Bahraini confirmed dead

Posted by on March 19, 2011 0 Comment

A Bahraini protester who went missing a few days ago amid unrest in the capital Manama has been confirmed dead, an opposition lawmaker says.

The protester, missing since a crackdown by security forces on demonstrators in Manama earlier this week, is confirmed dead, Matar Matar of the main opposition Shia bloc Al-Wefaq told AFP on Saturday.

Manama has been the scene of violent clashes between security forces and anti-government protesters since a popular revolution began in the country.

“Bahraini authorities informed Issa Abdali Rabih’s family that he is dead,” said Matar.

Rabih “was one of those missing since Wednesday” whose number he put at “around 60,” the lawmaker went on to say.

More than 12 people have been killed and about 1,000 injured since the start of the anti-government protests in the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom in mid-February.

Demonstrators in the Shia-majority country have been demanding the ouster of the 230-year-old Sunni-led monarchy as well as constitutional reforms, with hundreds camping out peacefully in the capital’s Pearl Square since February 14th.

UAE soldiers arrived in crisis-hit Bahrain on Friday to join Saudi Arabian troops, who were sent there earlier this week, to help the Bahraini crackdown on anti-government protests that have, so far, left several people dead.

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and other human rights organizations have strongly condemned the military intervention and have called the action illegal. Agencies

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply