Home » World » NATO forces ready to strike Libya

NATO forces ready to strike Libya

Posted by on March 18, 2011 0 Comment

On Thursday the UN Security Council adopted Resolution 1973 on Libya that authorizes member states “to take all necessary measures to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory.”

This is interesting to note that the UN resolution allows bombing surface targets, including groups of tanks and infantry, to protect major built-up areas.

According to Itar-Tass news agency a diplomatic source in London revealed that the international forces with a UN mandate may strike Libya in the coming hours.However plan of operation against Libya is under development, the unnamed source said.

Talks had been convened ‘to discuss the implications of the resolution and advance planning for all eventualities and if all necessary conditions are fulfilled the alliance will take action in Libya,Oana Lungescu, NATO spokeswoman said.

Earlier, four people were killed and more than 70 injured by the Gaddafi’s forces in the city of Misurata, Al Arabiya channel reported.Gaddafi’s forces used tanks and heavy artillery according to the media reports. Agencies


No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply