South Korea’s defense minister said Friday that North Korea could launch more military attacks against the South, ordering his troops to brace for another possible aggression from the North, the Seoul-based Yonhap News Agency reported.
The latest warning by Kim Kwan-jin came a day before South Korea marks the first anniversary of the deadly sinking of the Cheonan warship blamed on North Korea, it said.
“We must keep in mind that North Korea will provoke again,” Kim was quoted as saying in his directive to the military. Kim ordered his military to maintain combat preparedness against another possible provocation from the North, repeating a tougher response to any provocations.
“We must ensure our top-notch combat preparedness to strongly deal with the enemy with swift measures.” Some 46 South Korean sailors were killed in the sinking of the Cheonan on March 26 last year. A team of multinational investigators concluded last May that a North Korean torpedo was responsible for the sinking, but Pyongyang still denies involvement.
Tensions between the two Koreas rose further last November, when the North shelled the South Korean border island of Yeonpyeong, killing two marines and two civilians.