Saudi Arabia’s ban on women voting or running as candidates is to remain in place for the conservative Muslim kingdom’s municipal elections in April, the electoral committee head said on Monday.
“We are not ready for the participation of women in these municipal elections,” Abdulrahman al-Dahmash told reporters, renewing earlier promises that authorities would “allow [women’s] participation in the next ballot.”
At a time of pro-democracy uprisings across the Arab world, Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy, announced last week that it is to hold municipal elections by region, kicking off on April 23.
The kingdom held its first, men-only municipal polls in 2005, when Saudis elected half the members of 178 municipal councils across the Gulf state.
The government in May 2009 extended the mandate of the councils by two years, postponing a second vote expected to have taken place that year.
Women in the conservative Muslim country were not allowed to stand as candidates or to vote in the 2005 elections, the first in the highly centralized monarchy where all government posts are appointed.
Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdel Aziz has announced unprecedented economic benefits worth nearly $100 billion and warned against any attempt to undermine security in the country, largely spared by the Arab uprisings.
And in late February he ordered social benefits worth an estimated $36 billion, mostly aimed at youth, civil servants and the unemployed.
However, Saudi’s oil-rich Eastern Province, where most of its Shia minority lives, was the scene of protests earlier this month in solidarity with protesters in neighboring Shia-majority Bahrain. Agencies