Home » World » Tripoli: Allied warplanes continue bombardment

Tripoli: Allied warplanes continue bombardment

Posted by on March 24, 2011 1 Comment

In Tripoli, western warplanes hit Libya for a fifth night on Thursday,but have so far failed to stop In Tripoli, western warplanes hit Libya for a fifth night on Thursday, but have so far failed to stop Muammar Gaddafi s tanks shooting rebel-held towns or remove his amour from a tactical joint in the east.

More anti-aircraft fire rings out over Tripoli, as Gaddafi followers take to the streets in disobedience of the West.Gaddafi s tanks rolled back into Misratah under the cover of night and began shelling the area near the main hospital, people and rebels said, resuming their attack after their guns were silence in daylight hours by Western air strikes.

Government snipers in the city, Libya s third main, were undeterred by the bombing raids though and had carried on firing arbitrarily throughout, residents said. A rebel spokesman said the snipers had killed 16 people. The US military said it had successfully reputable a no-fly zone over Libya s coastal areas and had encouraged on to attack Gaddafi s tanks. The allies flew 175 sorties in 24 hours, with the U.S. flying 113 of those, a U.S. commander said. While the French Defence Minister said France had ruined some 10 Libyan armored vehicles over three days.

The Libyan government denies its army is conducting any unpleasant operations and says troops are only defending themselves when they come under attack. Libyan state television said Western planes had struck in Tripoli and in Jafar, southwest of the capital.Libyan government officials have accused Western powers of killing dozens of civilians, but have not shown journalists in the capital any evidence of such deaths. US military officials deny any civilians have been killed in air strikes.

As of Tuesday, the coalition had fired at least 162 sea-launched Tomahawk missiles priced at $1 million to $1.5 million apiece and dispatched B-2 stealth bombers, round-trip from Missouri to drop 2,000-pound bombs on Libyan sites. While the fighting raged, NATO again failed to agree to take over command of the military operation from the United States, chiefly because of objections from Turkey, diplomats said.

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates recognized Wednesday that there is no clear end to the international military enforcement of a no-fly zone over Libya, and says no one was ever under any illusion that the assault would last just two or three weeks. He added that the US could turn over control of the operation as soon as Saturday, but could not say how the coalition operation might be determined.


No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply