The US has agreed to a NATO request to conduct air strikes on Libya through today because of “recent poor weather”, the Pentagon said today.
“Due to recent poor weather in Libya, the US has approved NATO’s request to extend use of some US strike (aircraft)” through today, the Pentagon said in a message posted on the microblogging site Twitter.
The US military had planned to begin withdrawing its combat jets and Tomahawk missiles from the air campaign against Libya’s regime this weekend, as NATO allies were to take the lead in bombing Muammar Gaddafi’s forces.
NATO took charge of the coalition effort on Thursday. Last week, US sorties aimed at striking targets in Libya had also been scaled back. Agencies