London, Feb 23: Governments across the world have condemned the Libyan regime’s severe suppression of pro-democracy protesters as the death toll from the country’s uprising climbs.
EU foreign ministers issued a statement on Tuesday, expressing great concern over the crisis in Libya and called for an end to the violence.
“The legitimate aspirations and demands of people for reform must be addressed through open, inclusive, meaningful and national Libyan-led dialogue,” the statement said.
The President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, said separately that he was “horrified by the growing number of human casualties among demonstrators”.
As many as 1,400 Libyans have been killed so far by the Libyan forces under Muammar Gaddafi’s rule.
Several European countries — including Germany — have also called for sanctions against Libya’s decades-long ruler.
Meanwhile, the Arab League has barred Libya from its meetings until Tripoli responds to the demands of the protesters.
Dozens of Arab League employees staged a vigil at the league’s headquarters in the Egyptian capital, Cairo on Tuesday to express solidarity with Libyan people.
The employees raised banners, voicing their concern over news reports about mounting civilian casualties in Libya. They demanded that Libyan authorities refrain from using violence against protesters.
Gaddafi, who came to power 42 years ago in a bloodless military coup, delivered a televised address on Tuesday in which he vowed to fight on to his “last drop of blood” and called on his supporters to take to the streets to confront the protesters.
Meanwhile, Libyan Interior Minister Abdel Fatah Yunes said on Tuesday that he was resigning and called on the armed forces to join the people against Gaddafi.