Home » World » World’s Largest Hunger Strike Planned in Bahrain

World’s Largest Hunger Strike Planned in Bahrain

Posted by on April 19, 2011 1 Comment

Bahraini protesters are preparing to start the world’s largest joint hunger strike to show their anger at al-Khalifa regime’s crackdown.

The organizers have called on all Bahrainis around the world to begin a hunger strike from Monday in protest at the regime’s brutalities against the opposition, AP reported.

Meanwhile, the Saudi-backed Bahraini government forces have intensified their crackdown on the anti-regime protesters and so far have demolished eight Shia mosques.

According to news agencies, Saudi and Bahraini forces on Sunday destroyed two Shia mosques in different regions of the small Persian Gulf kingdom, in a move to intensify their crackdown on the innocent protesters, mourning for Hazrat Fatima (AS).

Meanwhile, Bahrain’s state news agency said on Monday seven detained opposition supporters will go on trial before a military court for the killing of two policemen.

The report by the Bahrain News Agency said a military prosecutor charged the seven with premeditated murder on Sunday. They also face “other charges,” the report said. It did not elaborate, except to say the two policemen died after being run over by a car in the capital Manama, AP reported.

Another hearing in the case is set for Tuesday.

The seven are the first of the hundreds taken in custody to be charged with a crime since Bahrain’s military stormed the protesters’ encampment in Manama’s Pearl Square a month ago.

Earlier this month the authorities banned media from covering legal proceedings in the country’s military courts. Bahrain’s human rights organizations blasted the gag order, saying that trials behind closed doors have no legal credibility.

“If a government decides to hold trials in secret, it is very likely the government is hiding something,” said Nabeel Rajab, the head of Bahrain’s Human Rights Center.

Among those detained are also dozens of Shia professionals, such as doctors and lawyers, including the lawyer who was to defend the seven suspected opposition supporters in the military court, Rajab said.

The attorney, Mohammed al-Tajer, is one of Bahrain’s most prominent human rights lawyers. He has represented hundreds of clients against the state, including Shia activists accused of plotting against the Sunni monarchy. He was taken into custody on Saturday.

Earlier on Monday, Bahraini forces reportedly detained eight teachers and several pupils from a girl’s secondary school in the town of Hamad.

Hundreds of protesters, opposition leaders and human rights activists have been taken into custody since Bahrain declared emergency rule March 15 attempts to crush the revolt.

At least 30 people have died since Feb. 15, when anti-government protests erupted in Bahrain, inspired by the uprisings in the Arab world. Four opposition supporters have also died in police custody.

In March, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait deployed their troops in Bahrain to reinforce the brutal armed clampdown against mass protests.

Scores of protesters have been killed and many others gone missing during the harsh crackdown. Agencies

One Response to “World’s Largest Hunger Strike Planned in Bahrain”

  1. Please dont join other international media is goiving false and one sided view of what is happening in Bahrain for the sake of “selling a story”. Know the facts how the rule of law was destroyed in Bahrain and how the army & police crackdown was absolutely necessary to bring safety and security.


Leave a Reply